Sunday, May 20, 2007

Rain, rain go away! Come again another day!

When the rains come, it's really quite something.

The clouds come overhead, dark as night, completely blocking out the sun. The women in my temporary compound look at the sky, a small smile playing around their lips. The children laugh louder.

The winds pick up, slow at first, but then into a fury knocking around the clothesline, and the women and older children are making a mad dash to remove everything that was drying. I run out to help, but they are much faster than me and I struggle over a clothes-pin. They tut-tut and laugh at me, but then ultimately push me out of the way. The time is to short to worry about teaching the white girl.

A sock gets blown out of a child's hand, and I run after it, triumphant when I catch it, but I turn around to hand it off to someone and they are no longer there. I briefly look up and then turn to run towards my own room -- I could see a wall of water coming towards me as if the sky opened up, releasing everything it was holding.

I didn't run fast enough.

Within seconds I'm soaked to the bone, my capris sticking to my legs, my flip-flops filled with water, and my shirt hanging, much heavier than it should be. The sunscreen I had applied before I saw the sky drips into my eyes, and I finally reach my door. I grab a towel to wipe my face, and then just watch.

The rains are an amazing thing to watch, though I am stuck inside as long as they are here. I was awake with the sun, and was only minutes away from going to the market. It's only 9:00 AM, and I have been awake for hours, bathing, washing, and cleaning, getting ready for a full day ahead of me. That day may not happen, but I am content to sit at my window and watch the intensity of the storm.

Added later: Rain go away! I had things to do today, and I'm instead bound to my room! Rain go away! It's been 5 hours!

3 comments:

Matthew said...

See, now if you had been a runner rather than a ballet dancer you would have stayed dry. Still, something tells me that you had way more fun getting the sock and getting soaking wet than staying inside. Keep on working, you'll get the hang of staying dry eventually.

apoorvaTRON said...

staying dry is overrated man!!!
we miss you!!!
its so awesome reading about your family and your compound! i'm looking forward to more.
also you look like a pretty african lady in your slit and top and your nice hair gear :)
aTRON

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.